March 14-15, 2011, Conference on Urban Development Strategies in the Mediterranean
Objectives of the Conference:
The objective of this conference is to lead the different Mediterranean agents (local authorities, governments, fund backers, cities network etc.) towards a common approach in their concepts of urban development and towards methodologies that can be adapted to a range of contexts.
To achieve this objective the debates focused on:
- The challenge of the different approaches on strategic urban planning , and the results expected from each approach;
- The methodologies which have proved useful in analysing complex situations, searching for consensus and facilitating strategic projects;
- The institutional background and different types of organisation which have facilitated dialogue between local governments and their partners and the adoption of specific agreements;
- The expected evolution of strategic urban planning in the context of the new challenges facing 21st–century cities;
- The support that may be given to local authorities and other involved parties through cooperation networks between cities, as well as programmes for bilateral and multilateral cooperation.
March 14, 2011
:: OPENING SESSION
Jordi Hereu, Mayor of Barcelona & Mats Karlsson, Director of the CMI
- Welcome remarks, Mr. Jordi Hereu, Mayor of Barcelona
- Mr. Mats Karlsson, Director of the Marseille Center for Mediterranean Integration (CMI)
- Dr. Rafiq Husseini, Deputy General Secretary of the Union for the Mediterranean (UpM)
- Mr. Senen Florensa, Secretary for Foreign Affairs, Government of Catalonia; President of the Executive Committee, European Institute of the Mediterranean (IEMED)
- "Presentation of the report prepared for the conference", Farouk Tebbal, (French only)
:: SESSION 1 : PRESENTATION OF THE DIFFERENT APPROACHES OF URBAN DEVELOPMENT STRATEGIES (UDS) AND A CRITICAL ANALYSIS OF THESE APPROACHES
:: SESSION 2 : ROUND TABLES ON THE ASSESSMENT OF THE DIFFERENT APPROACHES, THEIR CONTRIBUTIONS, AND HOW THEY COMPLEMENT EACH OTHER
SESSION 2-1 : VIEWPOINT OF LOCAL GOVERNMENTS: WHAT ARE THE CONDITIONS FOR A SUCCESSFUL UDS?
- "Málaga: 17 años concertando el futuro", José Estrada, General Director of CIEDES Foundation and Director of the Malaga Strategic Plan, City of Málaga - (Spanish only)
- "Stratégie de Développement du Grand Sfax 2016, Processus, résultats et lecons a tirer", Riadh Haj Taieb, Technical Director, City of Sfax - (French only)
- "Plan Communal de Développement 2011-2016", Dr. Mohamed Idaomar, President, Urban Community of Tetouan - (French only)
March 15, 2011
:: SESSION 3 : WHAT ARE THE SOLUTIONS FOR FUNDING INVESTMENT LINKED TO UDSs (PROJECTS, INFRASTUCTURES...)?
- "Multilateral and bilateral Organizations", Mariana Ruiz Alvarado, Urban Economist, EIB/FEMIP
- "Financing of private investments", Bertrand Nora Agence Française de Développement (AFD) et Inframed Frédéric Ottavy - (French only)
- "Private operators in charge of financing operations of urban renewal" Angus Gavin, Director of Urban Development Department and the Urban Development of Solidere International (SI)
- "Développement Urbain : Stratégie pour l’Amélioration du cadre de vie des citoyens", Tariq Kabbage, Mayor of Agadir - (French only)
- "Financer le développement urbain des pays de la Méditerranée", M. Michel Sudarskis, General Secretary, INTA - (French only)
:: SESSION 4 : GOOD GOVERNANCE: MULTI-LEVEL PARTICIPATION AND INSTITUTIONALIZATION OF THE STRATEGY
:: SESSION 5 : CONSISTENCY IN TERRITORIAL PLANNING (MEDINAS, LARGE URBAN OPERATIONS) AT AGGLOMERATION LEVEL
:: CONCLUSIONS AND NEXT STEPS